Disputation i engelska
Fredrik Svensson försvarar sin doktorsavhandling i engelska, "Ideology and Symbolism in the Novels of Cormac McCarthy"
Nedan följer en kort sammanfattning på engelska:
”Ever since the publication of his debut novel, The Orchard Keeper (1965), Cormac McCarthy has explored the relationship between humanity and the environment. In his early novels, this exploration takes the form of a symbolist aesthetic that repeatedly employs metaphor, simile, and personification to merge humans with the rest of the world’s matter. The ethical and political import of this aesthetic is, of course, open to dispute: critics have alternately celebrated McCarthy’s environmental imagination as an opportunity for the reader to cultivate a more responsible way of being in the world, criticized it as a relativization of human agency, and retooled it into a political commentary designed to challenge late capitalist reification. Entering into dialogue with this conflicted critical discourse, and tracing the development of McCarthy’s writing over five decades, Svensson’s dissertation reveals an author whose later novels appear to acknowledge their own capacity to resonate with many ethical and political sentiments at once. Further, drawing in particular on the Marxist perspective of Pierre Macherey, the dissertation also makes the more general claim that a literary work never produces meaning on its own and that the role of the critic is never entirely apolitical.”
Händelsen är öppen för allmänheten.
- Nicholas Monk, opponent, professor, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Katherina Dodou, betygsnämnd, docent, Högskolan Dalarna
- Markus Heide, betygsnämnd, docent, Uppsala universitet
- Sofia Wijkmark, betygsnämnd, docent, Karlstads universitet
- Josefin Rönnqvist
Telefon: 054-700 1570
Because of the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic, it will also be possible to follow the defense online via Zoom. If you want to participate in the event online, we ask you to observe the following instructions:
- Use this link to access the Zoom meeting.
- Please enter the meeting no earlier than 13.00 and no later than 13.15.
- Mute your mic and turn your camera off. During the defense, only Fredrik, the external reviewer, and the members of the examination committee are allowed to use audio and video.
- Technological support will only be offered to the external reviewer and the examination committee. If, for any reason, you cannot follow the proceedings, we cannot offer support.