Specialist Nursing -Theatre Care
General Entry Requirements: Nursing licence issued by the Swedish National Board of Health and Welfare.
Specific Entry Requirements: A Degree of Bachelor in Nursing (180 ECTS credits), including a degree project of at least 15 ECTS credits, a Degree of Bachelor in Nursing Science, or equivalent qualifications.
Professional experience in nursing corresponding to at least 12 months of full-time work.
Swedish B/Swedish as a Second Language B and English A/6
EducationThe programme is run by the university of Karlstad with the following study locations: Mölndal, Falun, Gävle, Karlstad, Västerås and Örebro (rank three locations in priority order in your application). The programme is offered as full-time and partly distance education. Study groups meet regularly at the respective study location and at some on-campus meetings. A degree project related to the specialist area is required, 15 ECTS cr. Students study individually and/or in groups via a web-based platform, which requires computer skills. NB! Application must include certificates verifying your qualifications and be sent to Antagningsservice, R312, 106 53 STOCKHOLM.
Form of InstructionStudents work on assignments individually and/or in groups, via a computer based platform. Instruction is also in the form of video conferences, streamed lectures and on campus seminars. There are 4 to 6 campus meetings of 2-4 days in Karlstad In addition, there are degree project seminars.
ExaminationExamination formats vary and may be oral or written, individual or in groups. Practical performance is also assessed. Examination usually takes place at the end of each course, module, or unit.
Professional ContactThe programme includes Practical placement (18 weeks) in a county council hospital at the study location, where students are guided in their learning by an experienced theatre nurse. Students may incur additional travel and accommodation expenses in connection with the training period.
Course of study
|Semester 1||ECTS credits|
|Degree project: Theatre Care (End semester: 2)||15|
|The responsibility and competence of the operating theatre nurse in perioperative care (Obligatory)||15|
|The theory and practice of basic theatre care in perioperative care (End semester: 2)||7.5|
|Currently under development (End semester: 2)||30|
*Full-time study always equals 30 ECTS credits per semester (20 weeks).
Elective course: Students are free to choose among certain alternative courses, often depending on their choice of specialisation.
Optional course: Students are free to choose any course offered at Karlstad University or at other universities. Courses listed are examples of recommended or frequently chosen courses for a specific programme.
Läsårs- och programvärderingar
Start semester Autumn 2015
- Year evaluation (KAU-69017)
- Programme evaluation (KAU-69017)
- Year evaluation (KAU-69018)
- Programme evaluation (KAU-69018)
- Year evaluation (KAU-69019)
- Programme evaluation (KAU-69019)
- Year evaluation (KAU-69020)
- Programme evaluation (KAU-69020)
- Year evaluation (KAU-69021)
- Programme evaluation (KAU-69021)
- Year evaluation (KAU-69011)
- Programme evaluation (KAU-69011)
Start semester Autumn 2016
- Programme evaluation (KAU-69397)
- Programme evaluation (KAU-69012)
- Programme evaluation (KAU-69022)
- Programme evaluation (KAU-69023)
- Programme evaluation (KAU-69024)
- Programme evaluation (KAU-69025)
- Programme evaluation (KAU-69026)
Start semester Autumn 2017
- Programme evaluation (KAU-69531)
- Programme evaluation (KAU-69532)
- Programme evaluation (KAU-69533)
- Programme evaluation (KAU-69534)
- Programme evaluation (KAU-69535)
- Programme evaluation (KAU-69536)
- Programme evaluation (KAU-69537)
Start semester Autumn 2018
- Programme evaluation (KAU-69644)
- Programme evaluation (KAU-69645)
- Programme evaluation (KAU-69648)
- Programme evaluation (KAU-69649)
- Programme evaluation (KAU-69650)
Start semester Autumn 2019
- Programme evaluation (KAU-69908)
- Programme evaluation (KAU-69904)
- Programme evaluation (KAU-69905)
- Programme evaluation (KAU-69906)
Start semester Autumn 2020
Employment MarketThere is a great demand for theatre care nurses in the whole of Sweden.
DegreeThe professional degree awarded is Graduate Diploma in Specialist Nursing - Theatre Care.The general degree awarded is a Master of Science 60 credits with a Major in Nursing Science. Graduates are eligible to move on towards a two-year Master's degree or to a doctoral programme.
Further StudiesUpon completion of the programme students may move on to doctoral studies. Students need to meet the prerequisites for doctoral studies in the subject chosen.
- Start Spring 2022
- Mode of study Distance
- Language Swedish
- Application code KAU-79809
- Study pace 100% (Day)
- Introductory Information Show