Information retrieval and publishing strategies
The course is a university-wide graduate course at Karlstad University
Instruction is in the form of lectures, seminars and workshops and comprises the following components:
- Content and structure of information retrieval databases
- Search strategies and search techniques
- Information retrieval
- Evaluating search result
- Reference management
- Scientific/Scholarly publishing
- Open Access
Upon completion of the course, students should be able to:
- plan and perform information search, and evaluate the search result,
- identify, compare and critically evaluate relevant information sources within the PhD student´s research area,
- evaluate publications and different publication channels with regard to reliability, relevance and quality,
- formulate a publishing strategy appropriate for the PhD student´s research area, that promotes the visibility of the research,
- be knowledgeable of Swedish legislation and good research practice in relation to information resources and publishing,
- manage references in a bibliographically correct way and in accordance with good research practice
Designed for doctoral students at Karlstad University. Admission to a doctoral programme is a specific requirement.
The examination is individual and based on active participation in seminars, on short tests and seminar assignments, and on the student’s peer review contribution at the seminars.
The course is given in English in the spring semester and in Swedish in the autumn semester.