The proximity to a higher education in computer science is important to Jonathan Magnusson
If you are interested in the connection between computers and humans, the master's program in computer science is for you. Jonathan Magnusson, doctoral student in computer science at Karlstad University, talks about his experiences of an education that in principle guarantees jobs.
The step to higher education was not far for Jonathan Magnusson. As a native of Värmland computer science at Karlstad University was a natural choice.
- I did not think that any of the big universities excelled with something that would make me change city. My goal was to study computer science so the proximity to Karlstad University was crucial in my choice, says Jonathan.
During his time in both the bachelor's program and the master's program, Jonathan Magnusson was with like-minded people - both in terms of interest and ambition.
- To end up in an environment with people who had the same interest as myself was very important. Throughout my time as a student, there was a common drive in taking us further towards graduation. We often discussed together - both before and after lectures. The support that was among us students was important. We learned a lot from each other.
An important factor with the education in computer science is, according to Jonathan Magnusson, that there is always a clear connection to the business world. Prospective employers are always in the immediate vicinity, which makes it much easier when you as a student have finished your education.
Dig deeper into the master's program
The first half of the master's program in computer science contains compulsory courses regardless of area of interest. During the second semester, students choose courses to immerse themselves in three areas:
- PriSec (Data Security & Privacy)
- DISCO (Data Communication)
- SQuaD (Software Quality & Digital Modernization)
- The third half of the year is free. I chose to do a research project on user-friendliness on firewalls and read an introductory course in psychology. The fourth and final semester is spent on the degree project. There is an opportunity to enter the labor market directly after both the bachelor's and master's program in computer science. Local companies have a good view of the students during the education. The collaboration between Karlstad University and the business community is deeply integrated.
Today, Jonathan Magnusson is a new doctoral student. The aim was set already during the last year of the bachelor's program. The springboard became the master's program, which means two extra years after the bachelor's degree. In total, Jonathan has spent five years at the Department of Computer Science as a student.
- My path to a doctoral position went through the master's program. There I got a good foundation to be able to continue my academic career as a researcher. My fellow students were very happy with both the bachelor's and master's degrees - I just chose another path.
Today, areas such as data security, personal privacy, data communication and quality and testing of software are hot on the subject. They are the cornerstones of the master's program in computer science and continue to engage Jonathan Magnusson as a doctoral student.
- My research is about security and personal integrity within DNS (Domain Name System) and is funded by the Internet Foundation, which handles .se and .nu addresses in Sweden. The Internet was not built with either security or privacy in mind - it was built to transport information between point A and point B. The purpose of my research is to strengthen those parts of the internet. The master's program in computer science has given me the knowledge to contribute in that area, concludes Jonathan Magnusson.