At Karlstad University, students can carry out their practical placement (traineeship/internship) or thesis data collection abroad. Make the most of this opportunity and return home with enhanced international experience and employability skills. It is possible to apply for a scholarship via, for example, Nordlys (for traineeships for at least 1 week) and Erasmus+ (for traineeships for at least two months in a country that participates in the Erasmus programme).
You should start by:
1. Finding and applying for an international traineeship (vfu) and / or international data collection (field studies).
You find a traineeship abroad yourself. Large companies and organizations often advertise traineeships on their websites. Remember to research your traineeship carefully, Karlstad University is not responsible for checking advertisements.
Link to traineeship adverts:
Sometimes staff at Karlstad University have contacts in other countries and organizations who can help with tips, contact your Programme Leader or Supervisor to see if your subject area has contacts that you can use.
See if you can apply for a scholarship:
2. Getting your supervisor to approve your traineeship abroad and in consultation with your supervisor registering it.
You register your traineeship abroad via our online on the Registration Form menu to the right.
Sign the registration form electronically, obtain your supervisor’s electronic signature and email the form along with supporting documents to the International Office email@example.com no later than one month before departure. Once you have sent in your form, the International Office will contact you with further instructions and forms.
3. Preparing Practical Arrangements
Before your traineeship abroad, you are recommended to plan for the following:
Accommodation - You need to find accommodation abroad, sometimes your host organization can help with this or give you good tips on where to start looking
- Vaccinations - Certificates for vaccinations may be needed in connection with your application for a placement or when applying for a visa. To find out what applies to you, visit a vaccination guide, to research which vaccinations you may need for your destination:
- Visa - In order to study and live in another country, visas or housing registration may often be required. To find out what applies to your placement country, visit the Sweden Abroad website, which has information about most countries:
- Certificate of student funding from CSN - Such a certificate is often needed to prove that you can support yourself during your period abroad and is sometimes requested when applying for a visa. Apply for it in good time via CSNs website:
After registering your traineeship you will be covered by the Kammarkollegiet's Student UT insurance during your traineeship period. When your traineeship has been registered by the International Office, you will receive more detailed information regarding the insurance.
Do you study teacher education?
You can find more information about VFU abroad here:
- Go to VFU website. (Information currently in Swedish)