From August 2011 (the autumn/fall semester) Swedish universities, including Karlstad University, introduced tuition fees for students from countries outside of the EU/EEA and Switzerland. This applies only for free movers and does not include exchange students.
Students who will pay fees:
- Fees are applicable only for citizens of countries outside the EU/EEA and Switzerland
- Fees will apply to undergraduate and graduate courses and programmes (i.e. bachelor’s and master’s level courses and programmes, first and second cycle).
Students who will not pay fees:
- Citizens of countries within the EU/EEA and Switzerland will not be charged fees.
- Exchange students (from all countries) will not be charged tuition fees.
- PhD programmes will not be affected.
- Students who already started their study programme before fees were introduced, will be able to complete their studies without paying fees until 31 December 2018. Note: this only applies to students enrolled on programmes.
- List of EU/EEA countries
What DOES IT COST TO STUDY AT KARLSTAD UNIVERSITY?
As an international student or free mover, you will be required to pay an application fee and if admitted to Karlstad university a tuition fee.
An application fee of 900 SEK is charged at all Swedish universities. More information about the application fee can be found at universityadmissions.se.
There are different tuition fees and it all depends whether you are interested in some courses or music courses, an international master programme or a bachelor degree.
The tuition fee for a bachelor degree and master programme as well as courses is 2.500 SEK per ECTS credit. Nevertheless, there are some exceptions:
- Tuition fees for music courses is 4.500 SEK per ECTS credit.
- Tuition fee for the Bachelor programme in Music is 750.000 SEK,
- Tuition fees for international master programmes range from 95.000 to 235.000 SEK. Karlstad University offers four different international master programmes taught in English (in Economics, in computer science, in geomedia studies and in information systems). You will find the tuition fees on the webpages for each master programme.
These mentioned fees are due for the academic year of 2022/20223.