From August 2011 (the autumn/fall semester) Swedish universities, including Karlstad University, introduced tuition fees for students from countries outside of the EU/EEA and Switzerland. This applies only for free movers and does not include exchange students.
Students who will pay fees:
- Fees are applicable only for citizens of countries outside the EU/EEA and Switzerland
- Fees will apply to undergraduate and graduate courses and programmes (i.e. bachelor’s and master’s level courses and programmes, first and second cycle).
Students who will not pay fees:
- Citizens of countries within the EU/EEA and Switzerland will not be charged fees.
- Exchange students (from all countries) will not be charged tuition fees.
- PhD programmes will not be affected.
- Students who already started their study programme before fees were introduced, will be able to complete their studies without paying fees until 31 December 2018. Note: this only applies to students enrolled on programmes.
- List of EU/EEA countries
How much does it cost to study at Karlstad University?
Tuition fees for individual programmes range from 95.000 to 245.000 SEK. You will find the tuition fees on the webpages for each master programme with English teaching. The tuition fee for all courses and all programmes except for the master programmes with English teaching, is 2500 SEK per credit. These mentioned fees are due for academic year 2021/2022.
An application fee of 900 SEK is also charged at all Swedish universities. More information about the application fee can be found at www.universityadmissions.se.