Piano – Km
I'm a concert pianist and Head of the Piano Department at the Ingesund College of Music, Karlstad University. I am a Bluethner artist and Genuin Records Artist in Germany.
Among a number of prizes in International Competitions, I'm the winner of Nordic International Piano Competition in 2004 where I was awarded with a Bluethner Grand Piano.
I'm a concert pianist with a diverse background. Born in a Finnish-Russian family in Sibiria, I started playing the piano at the age of three under the guidance of my mother, Lidia Mustonen. I studied for several years at Sibelius Academy in Helsinki, Staatliche Hochschule für Musik in Freiburg, Hochschule der Kunste in Berlin, Royal Academy in Dublin as well as Stockholm College of Music and Danish Royal Academy of Music in Copenhagen. My teachers include Erik T. Tawaststjerna, Vitali Berzon, John O'Conor, Alicia de Larrocha and Staffan Scheja.
Among other artistic projects, I performed the complete repertoire of C. Debussy and recorded part of it, on the Genuin record label in Germany.
I have been awarded many times, in Finland by: Kordelini Foundation (2002 and 2006), Jenny & Antti Wihuri Foundation (2001 and 2003) and Culture Foundation (2005 and 2010) as well as the Finnish Performing Music Promotion Centre (2006). Awards in Sweden: Swedish Music Academy, Anders Wall Foundation and the Freemasons Loge in Stockholm. Most recently I was awarded by the Léonie Sonnings Musikfond in Denmark.
Only in the past few academic years I have been giving master courses at: Latvian Academy of Music in Riga, Denmark Odense Music Academy, Ireland Royal Academy in Dublin, Iceland Academy of Arts in Reykjavik, Germany Hochschule für Musik Köln, Music Academy in Stockholm, Edsberg department, Finland: Sibelius-Academy, and other music academies at: Turku, Kuopio, Oulu, Pietarsaari, Jyväskylä. Masterclasses at the festivals: Helsingborg Piano festival, Göteborg Piano Festival, Tjenre Festival in Artsakh.
I'm is also the artistic director of Gafsfjordens Music Festival and Nordic Piano Competition and a president of the Ingesund Piano Foundation.
My students are laureates of many international Piano competitions. I also organize tours for the students in: Finland, Latvia, Iceland, Sweden and Denmark. My pedagogical and artistic developed work of Instrumental Teachers Education Program was presented at the National Piano Pedagogue Congress in Sweden in 2015.
What is important for me in the piano pedagogical work:
- To be able to give to the students the great tradition and the real ”school” of the piano playing and make sure that this tradition will survive trough future generations.
- Inspire the students to find their own voice in the music making and own sound in piano playing. To develop young pianists to be the multidimensional musicians.
- To help young pianists with piano technique related physical problems. And help to calibrate the piano technique in many different aspects.
- Help young pianists with the mental problems for ex like fear and instability in stage performance situations. Specially help needed in the competition or audition situations. Here it would be good to mention the importance of the work on the group lessons, where pianists can play the program for the group of their colleagues and discuss for ex some of the public performance related problems as well as interpretational details.
- Help to work with memorization, learning process of difficult texture material and work on the prima vista skills.
- Help the young musicians to work not only with the virtuosic and piano bravura technique, but also with the advanced technique related to work with the piano sound.
- To learn so much like possible different repertoire in many like possible styles and traditions
- Inspire students to do different chamber music projects, because learning form the other instrumentalists can be the same essential important for the development of the musicianship.
- Do active organizational work on national and international level. Trying to organize many different projects and tours for the students. In the same time there is a significant importance in participation in international piano competitions and preparation to them.
- Make the students ready for the professional music life. To get to know what goals and dreams the young musician has and help to do all the concrete steps to reach those goals