The researchers and teachers at the department are active of the following research networks and groups:
- The Centre for Language and Literature Education (CSL), conducting subject-didactic research within language and literary studies.
- Research on Subject-Specific Education (ROSE), which is one of Karlstad University’s strong research groups. From a multidisciplinary perspective, ROSE has a special interest in subject didactics, learning and teaching. One of the main research areas for 2017-2020 relates to migration and powerful knowledge. The aim is to develop models about migration to be used in teaching, focusing especially on pupils in year 4-6.
- The Research Group for Culture Studies (KuFo) is an interdisciplinary platform for researchers active within the culturally focused branches of humanities.
- Children and Childhood in Educational Contexts (UBB), a research centre where issues related to children and childhood in educational contexts are problematised and studied.
- Knowledge and Quality across School Subjects and Teacher Education (KOSS), brings together established subject-didactic and interdisciplinary research groups from Sweden, Finland and England – SSRG (Subject Specialism Research Group) and HuSoEd (Research Community for Humanities and Social Sciences).
- Quality in Nordic Teaching (QUINT), conducts research on the quality of teaching in Nordic classrooms.
- The subject also has a collaboration agreement with the Inland Norway University of Applied Sciences.