Capture-the-Flag Challenges in Computer Security
After having completed the course, students should:
- understand and explain the different approaches of CTF challenges;
- understand and solve common CTF challenges posed by others;
- be able to design and implement new CTF challenges;
- be able to analyze and critically evaluate the solvability of new CTF challenges;
- be able to reason about the relevance of CTFs for cybersecurity education;
- be able to use and work with technical CTF platforms;
- have enough competence to participate in CTF challenge competitions, e.g., on the Swedish or European level;
- be able to present and discuss their CTF challenge activities.
The term “Capture-the-Flag challenge” refers to various interactive computer-based tasks in cybersecurity education and computer science in general. All of them have in common that a challenge is posed to the participants that need to be solved, e.g., within a given timeframe or as a team in a CTF contest.
In this course, students explore the different variations of CFTs, solve existing CTF challenges, and develop their own CTF challenges to pose to others.