If you have completed courses at Karlstad University or another higher education institution that correspond to one or more modules in your current studies, you can apply for a credit transfer.
Other studies and professional experience may also be eligible for credit transfer. This page is intended to serve as a guide in the application process. The ambition is for the application to be processed within a month of its submission, provided the application is complete. More complex matters may take longer.
Please note! Approved credit transfers may affect your student finance, so make sure to contact the Swedish Board of Student Finance (CSN) regarding the changes.
To apply for a credit transfer, you must be a student at Karlstad University. That means you must currently be admitted to and active in studies at Karlstad University. The definition of active is that you are registered in a programme or at least one course at Karlstad University. If you intend to apply for the award of a qualification here, apply for the credit transfer well before you finish your studies to ensure the credit is transferred by the time you apply for the award of a qualification.
In a credit transfer, the content, scope, and level of your previous studies/professional experience are evaluated against the syllabus of the course you are applying to have your qualifications equated with (the course you do not wish to take).
In certain cases, a student can apply to replace a course instead of transferring credit. This is applied when the student has a completed course that does not specifically correspond to a course within the programme. Course replacement means that the replacement course and the replaced course are equally well suited to your programme context. Always consult with the study and career counsellor or programme director before you apply. Apply for a course replacement by filling out a form and submitting it as per the instructions on the form. If the application is approved, the student is obligated to upload the decision to universityadmissions.se.
THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA MUST BE MET FOR A CREDIT TRANSFER APPLICATION NOT TO BE REJECTED
- You must be a student at Karlstad University (admitted to a course/programme)
- You must have received a passing grade in the studies serving as the basis for the credit transfer.
- The application must be complete and include all the required attachments.
- The syllabus of the completed course must largely equate to the syllabus of the course you want credit recognised for.
Additionally, you should be sure whether a credit transfer is truly necessary. Examples of when a credit transfer is not necessary:
- If you are customising your degree and your previous studies are from another higher education institution in Sweden.
- If you are taking a study programme and the course you want credit transferred for is listed as optional in the programme syllabus.
- If you have previously taken a course at Karlstad University and are now in a study programme where that course is mandatory.
APPLYING FOR A CREDIT TRANSFER FOR PRACTICAL PLACEMENT (VFU)
Documented professional experience that equates to the learning outcomes in the course syllabi for practical placement is grounds for a credit transfer.
APPLICATION FOR CREDIT TRANSFER WITHIN THE VAL PROJECT
Those who are applying for credit transfer within the VAL project need to do so following special procedures. Qualifications that were known at the time of the application have already been taken into consideration for credit transfer. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
HOW TO APPLY FOR A CREDIT TRANSFER
- Apply through Ladok for students
- Only include one course per application.
- You must attach the required documents.
- Transcript of records from Ladok.
- A formal course syllabus including a reading list for the semester when the course was taken.
- If you cannot apply online, contact the study counsellor for the course/programme in question.
Please note! While the same course may serve as the basis for a credit transfer several times, please make sure that you will ultimately have enough credits to apply for the award of a qualification. Credits for a complete or partial course may only be used once for the degree.
If you have any further questions about your applications, contact your study and career counsellor.
APPROVAL OR REJECTION OF CREDIT TRANSFER
Complete or partial credit transfer approval or rejection will be based on the material and application documents you have submitted. It is your responsibility to ensure that the application is complete. If anything is missing, you will be notified and have ten days to supplement the application. The credit transfer application will be processed as soon as possible after we have received a complete application.
The student will be notified when a decision has been made.
Please note that a partial credit transfer will only be visible in Ladok after you have been admitted to the course.
APPEALING A DECISION
If you are dissatisfied with the decision, you can submit an appeal. The decision includes information about the appeals process. From the day you are notified of the decision, you have three weeks to submit the appeal.