As a student at Karlstad University, you have access to a range of IT services. Most can be accessed by activating your KauID student account.
The student support team will help you with any questions concerning your KauID (student account), your student e-mail, the wireless network, the computer workstations in the library, and more. Always bring your ID-card or your 10-figure t-number (Swedish social security number or national identity number). You will find the student support service in the Welcome center, in house 1E.
Student support also gives you guidance in the most common Office questions and helps you with the settings on your laptop.
Karlstad University provides different web-based systems to support and to make teaching and learning efficient.
What do I need as a student?
Many courses are distance learning or blended learning, i.e. a combination of syncron and asyncron learning. Access to computer is a must no matter what form of education that you've selected.
You need basic computer skills. This means that you must be able to use a Web browser and a word processor.
Equipment for distance learning and blended learning
In order to be able to take advantage of education via a video link (streaming video) and/or Adobe Connect (e-meetings via the Internet) requires that you have access to equipment that is capable of this. An alternative might be to use computers in such as learning centres or libraries where it is possible to sit separately. You need your own headset.
To be able to see broadcasts and participate in e-meetings you need a fast connection to the Internet. The biggest problem with all e-meeting systems is the sound. You hear an echo, the sound may stutter or you do not hear anything at all. These problems are related to your connection speed and bandwidth. It requires that you
- have the Internet access (wired networks, cable), preferably approx. 1 Mbit/s
- never using mobile broadband
- avoid wireless network
- do not have firewalls (port 1935 and 443 open)
- tests your internet connection, see Test your computer
- if you are sitting at home: make sure that other family members are not active with bandwidth-intensive tasks, such as web videos and online games.
- latest version of Adobe Flash Player
- updated virus protection software
- updated Java
- latest versions of your browser (such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari). Some programs do not work in Google Chrome.
- a word processor (Karlstad University provides students with Office 365 for free. You can read more about this here: https://www.kau.se/nyheter/kostnadsfri-tillgang-till-office-365-studenter).
- Adobe Acrobat Reader.