About the project
AT-LAB - Regional additive manufacturing laboratory at Karlstad University
Additive manufacturing (AM) and 3D-printing technology is a new and nowadays hot topic in Sweden. The technology provides unique opportunities for resource efficient manufacturing of complex custom objects with features impossible to be manufactured by conventional methods.
The aim of the project is to install and launch an additive manufacturing laboratory at Karlstad University to use it as an interface between academia and regional companies providing opportunities for organization and realization of efficient knowledge transfer and demonstration events, create environment where industrial partners, in a close collaboration with university, could gain new knowledge in products and develop processes.
To develop new efficient knowledge exchange channels, the development of an open and accessible research and innovation environment is crucial. The AT-LAB will be such an environment for efficient and easy knowledge and technology transfer.
In a close contact with cluster organizations, the project will develop a new network involving interested small and medium size regional and national enterprises. In frame of the project, different activities like workshops, seminars, pilot manufacturing, prototyping and product verification and investigations will be organized.
The key target groups are
Regional SMEs and companies aiming to involve additive manufacturing in the production.
Regional SMEs and companies aiming to use externally manufactured parts and components made by additive manufacturing in their own production.
In the project, industries involved in research and pilot manufacturing activities will be able to
- get new knowledge about additive manufacturing technology, design, materials, machines and properties,
- use AT-LAB resources to design and develop CAD models,
- use AT-LAB for manufacturing of pilots, models and prototypes,
- test and characterize properties of articles and components manufactured in AT-LAB,
- establish new business contacts with other participants,
- use newly created channels and network for collaboration with other companies, university and society,
- take part in future research project applications to KKS, Vinnova and EU,
- Install and launch additive manufacturing equipment.
- Organize a vibrant network of regional industries having interest to additive manufacturing technology.
- Organize seminars and workshops supporting interest of companies for groups having general interest to the AM technology.
- Organize educational learning events, in format “learning by doing” for industries interested in the implementation of technology.
- Organize demonstration, and/or validation projects demonstrating features of the method for industries interested in validation of the AM technology capacities.
- Organize research projects for companies interested in material and performance aspects of the AM technology.
The long-perspective goal is an implementation of the additive manufacturing technology in a production by regional industries. This technology is resource efficient and environmentally friendly. It also has indirect environmental effect, for instance by decreasing machining operations utilizing hazardous and polluting lubricants and cooling liquids. Therefore, long-term environmental contribution into green society will be done.