Genetic epidemiology, neuropsychiatric diseases, biostatistics, eye-tracking research
Biostatistics, psychiatric epidemiology, child mental health
- Multi-site study of treatment effects on adolescent suicides, Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center and others, U.S.A.
- Genetic risk factors for PANDAS (Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorders Associated with Streptococcal Infections), Örebros universitet, Sweden
- Cross-tissue epigenetic profiles in pediatric asthma, Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center, U.S.A.
- SELMA-studien – Swedish Environmental Longitudinal, Mother and child, Asthma and allergy study
My primary research interest is in the genetic basis of clinical heterogeneity in complex disorders. My research efforts have been devoted to the identification of disease-associated genetic variants using genome-wide association scans and next-generation sequencing. I have served as a principal investigator on three research projects on the genetics of autism and co-investigator on two NIH R01 projects (genetics of metabolic syndrome and schizophrenia, respectively). My quantitative analytic skills and biomedical knowledge have jointly played a key role in my collaborations with investigators from diverse fields, such as molecular genomics, behavioral sciences, and clinical psychiatry.
Peer-reviewed Journal Articles
1. Lin PI, McInnis MG, Potash JB, MacKinnon DF, Willour V, Miao K DePaulo JR Jr & Zandi, PP (2005) Assessment of the effect of age at onset on linkage to bipolar disorder: evidence on chromosomes 18p and 21q. American Journal of Human Genetics, 77 (4):545-55. IF = 10.9; 3/94/GENETICS
2. Lin PI, McInnis MG, Potash JB, MacKinnon DF, Willour V, DePaulo JR Jr. & Zandi PP (2006) Clinical correlates and familial aggregation of age at onset in bipolar disorder. American Journal of Psychiatry, 163(2): 240-6. IF = 14.2; 3/140/PSYCHIATRY
3. Li YJ, Scott WS, Zhang L, Lin PI, Oliveira SA, Skelly T, Schmechel DE, Martin ER, Haines JL, Pericak-Vance MA, & Vance JM (2006) Revealing the role of Glutathione S-Transeferace Omega-1 in age-of-onset data of Alzheimer disease. Neurobiology Aging, 27(8):1087-93. IF = 6.6; 3/49/GERIATRICS & GERONTOLOGY
4. Chong RY, Uhart M, Yang X, Lin PI & Wand GS (2006) The A118G Mu opioid receptor polymorphism is associated with heightened HPA axis response to opioid receptor blockade but not psychosocial stress. Neuropsychopharmacology, 31(1):204-11. IF = 7.1; 11/151/PSYCHIATRY
5. Lin PI, Martin ER, Browning-Large CA, Schmechel DE, Welsh-Bohmer KA, Doraiswamy P. M., Gilbert J. R., Haines J. L., Pericak-Vance M. A. (2006) Parsing the genetic heterogeneity of chromosome 12q susceptibility genes for Alzheimer disease by family-based association analysis. Neurogenetics, 7(3): 157-65. IF = 2.9; 42/185/CLINICAL NEUROLOGY
6. Uhart M, Chong R, Lin PI, Oswald L & Wand GS (2006) Gender differences in hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis reactivity. Psychoneuroendocrinology, 31(5):642-52. IF = 5.0; 21/140/PSYCHIATRY
7. Lin PI, Martin ER, Bronson PG, Browning-Large CA, Small GW, Schmechel DE, Welsh-Bohmer KA, Haines JL, Gilbert JR & Pericak-Vance MA (2006) Exploring the association of GAPD genes and late-onset Alzheimer disease. Neurology, 67(1):64-8. IF = 8.3; 9/335/CLINICAL NEUROLOGY
8. Lin PI, Vance JM, Pericak-Vance MA, & Martin ER (2007) No gene is an island: the flip-flop phenomenon. American Journal Human Genetics, 80(3):531-8. IF = 10.9; 3/94/GENETICS
9. Carney RM, Slifer MA, Lin PI, Gaskell PC, Scott WK, Hulette CM, Welsh-Schmechel DE, Vance JM & Pericak-Vance MA (2008). Longitudinal follow-up of Alzheimer disease families. Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatric Genetics, 147B(5):571-8. IF = 3.4; 42/140/PSYCHIATRY
10. Lin PI, Vance JM, Pericak-Vance MA, & Martin ER (2008). Reply to “Genetic flip-flop without an accompanying change in linkage disequilibrium.” American Journal Human Genetics, 82(3): 796-7. IF = 10.9; 3/94/GENETICS
11. Lin PI & Mitchell BM (2008). Approaches for deciphering joint genetic determinants for schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. Schizophr Bull, 34(4):791-7. IF = 8.5; 8/140/PSYCHIATRY
12. Tarasov KV, Sanna S, Scuteri A, Strait JB, Orrù M, Parsa A, Lin PI, Maschio A, et al. (2009). COL4A1 is associated with arterial stiffness by genome-wide association scan. Circulation Cardiovasc Genet, 2(2):151-8. IF = 15.1; 3/123/CARDIAC & CARDIOVASCULAR SYSTEMS
13. Lin PI & Shuldiner AR (2010). Rethinking the genetic basis of diabetes and schizophrenia. Schizophr Res, 123 (2-3): 234-43. IF = 3.9; 30/140/PSYCHIATRY
14. Chien YL, Wu YY, Tsai WC, Chiu YN, Liu SK, Lin PI, Chen CH, Gau SF & Chien WH (2011). Association study of the CNS patterning genes and autism in Han Chinese in Taiwan. Progress in Neuro-Psychopharmacology & Biological Psychiatry, 35(6):1512-7. IF = 3.7; 36/140/PSYCHIATRY
15. Lin PI, Chien YL, Wu YY, Chen CH, Gau SS, Huang YS, Liu SK, Tsai WC & Chiu YN (2012). The WNT2 gene polymorphism associated with speech delay inherent to autism. Research in Developmental Disabilities, 33 (5):1533-40. IF = 2.7; 45/247/CLINICAL PSYCHOLOGY
16. Lin PI, Kuo PH, Chen CH, Gau SSF, Wu YY, Liu SK (2013). Runs of homozygosity associated with speech delay in autism in a Taiwanese Han population. PLOS One, 8(8):e72056. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0072056. IF = 3.2; 9/57/MULTIPLE DISCIPLINES
17. Barzman D, McNamara R, Eliassen J, Abonia, JP, Durling M, Adler C, DelBello M, and Lin PI* (2014). Correlations of inflammatory gene pathways, corticolimbic functional activities, and aggression in pediatric bipolar disorder: a preliminary study. Psychiatric Research-Neuroimaging, 224(2):107-11. doi: 10.1016/j.pscychresns.2014.07.009. * Corresponding and senior author. IF = 2.9; 61/140/PSYCHIATRY
18. Lee CW, Zhan Q, Frank M, Huang J, Kleffel S, Larson A, Lezcano C, Lian C, Lin PI, Ma J, Schatton T, and Murphy GF (2014). Nestin depletion induces melanoma matrix metalloproteinases and invasion. Laboratory Investigation, 94(12):1382-95. doi: 10.1038/labinvest.2014.130. IF = 3.7; 30/123/MEDICINE, RESEARCH, AND EXPERIMENTAL
19. Bowers K, Lin PI, Erickson C (2014). Pharmacogenomic Medicine in Autism: Challenges and Opportunities. Pediatric Drugs 2014 Nov 25. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 25420674. IF = 2.0; 40/120/PEDIATRICS
20. Barzman DH, Geise C and Lin PI* (2015). A review of the genetic basis of emotion dysregulation in children and adolescents. World Journal of Psychiatry 5(1): 112-7. http://dx.doi.org/10.5498/wjp.v5.i1.112 * Corresponding and senior author. IF = pending
21. Lin PI & Barzman DH (2015). Disentangling cognitive defects in chronic depression and repetitive mild traumatic brain injury. Journal of Neurology & Neuroscience (In press). IF = 0.88; ranking: unknown
22. Oh S, Hung J, Barzman DH, Lin PI. Hutton, J (2015) Pediatric Asthma and Autism – Genomic Perspectives. Clinical and Translational Medicine. 4(1):37. doi: 10.1186/s40169-015-0078-x. Epub 2015 Dec 14. IF = pending
23. Connolly N, Anixt J, Manning P, Lin PI, Marsolo KA, Bowers K (2016). Maternal metabolic risk factors for autism spectrum disorder - an analysis of electronic medical records and linked birth data. Autism Research. 2016 Jan 29. doi: 10.1002/aur.1586. IF = 4.3; 6/51/BEHAVIORAL SCIENCE
24. Lin PI, Hsieh CD, Juan CH, Hossain MM, Erickson CA, Lee YH, Su MC (2016). Predicting aggressive tendencies by visual attention bias associated with hostile emotions. PLOS One. 2016 Feb 22;11(2):e0149487. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0149487. IF = 3.2; 9/57/MULTIPLE DISCIPLINES
25. Huang MH, Lai CH, Lin PI, Lai WW (2017). Arterial lactate level is associated with mortality rate in unscheduled surgical intensive care admissions. Formosa Journal of Surgery. 50(1), 21-7.
26. Laue C., Griffey M., Lin PI, Wallace, K., Van Der Schoot M, Horn P, Pedapati E. & Barzman D. (2018). Eye Gaze Patterns Associated with Aggressive Tendencies in Adolescence. Psychiatric Quarterly, doi: 10.1007/s11126-018-9573-8. [Epub ahead of print]. IF = 1.3
27. Ji H, Lin PI, Oh S. (2018). Genomic/Epigenomic Abnormality in Pediatric Cancer. Infect Dis Diag Treat: IDDT-117. DOI: 10.29011/IDDT-117. 100017
28. Engh L, Jernbro C, Lin PI, Bornehag CG, Ericksson UB (2018). Can school attachment modify the relation between foster care placement and school achievement? British Journal of School Nursing. 13 (4), 178-85.
29. Alavian-Ghavanini A*, Lin PI*, Lind PM, Risén SR, Lejonklou MH, Dunder L, Tang M, Lindh C, Bornehag CG, Rüegg J (2018). Prenatal Bisphenol A Exposure is Linked to Epigenetic Changes in Glutamate Receptor Subunit Gene Grin2b in Female Rats and Humans. Scientific Reports. 2018 Jul 27;8(1):11315. doi: 10.1038/s41598-018-29732-9. * The authors have equal contributions. IF = 4.6.
30. Lin PI*. Fei L, Barzman DH, Hossain M. What have we learned from the trend of mass shootings in the United States? PLOS One (Accepted) * Corresponding and senior author. IF = 3.2. 9/57/MULTIPLE DISCIPLINES
- Pericak-Vance MA, Slifer M, Lin PI, & Haines, JL (2006). “Genetics of Alzheimer Disease” in Principles and Practice of Medical Genetics, Dementias vol. C Duyckaerts, I Litvan (eds), Emery & Rimoin, Philadelphia, PA
Manuscripts in preparation
1. Lin PI, Barzman D, McNamara R, Eliassen J, Durling M, Adler C, DelBello M. Exome sequencing reveals rare coding variants in the family of TNF genes that predict prefrontal activities and emotional arousal. Biological Psychiatry (Submitted).
2. Wonodi I, Lin PI, Stine OC, Lewis J, Krishna N, Hong LE, Keshavan M, Pearlson G, Tamminga C, Sweeney J, Mitchell BD, Gold JM & Thaker GK. High-density SNP analyses and gene expression in frontal cortex identify NRXN3 as a candidate gene for schizophrenia and-related neurocognitive deficits. Biological Psychiatry (Submitted)
1. Lin PI, McInnis M. G., Potash JB, MacKinnon DF, Willour V, Miao K, DePaulo JR Jr. & Zandi PP Assessing the effect of age at onset on linkage to bipolar disorder: evidence on chromosomes 18 and 21. International Genetic Epidemiology Society Meeting, Netherlands, 2004
2. Kang SJ, Lin PI, Haynes CS, Haines JL, Martin ER, Stenphan DA & Pericak-Vance MA A 10K SNP Genomic Screen in Extended Late Onset Alzheimer Disease Families. 2004 American Society of Human Genetics Meeting, Toronto, Canada, 2004
3. Uhart M, Chong R, Lin PI, Oswald L & Wand GS. Gender Differences in
Hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) Axis Reactivity. The Endocrine Society’s 87th Annual Meeting, San Diego, California, 2005
4. Chong RY, Uhart M, Yang X, Lin PI & Wand GS. The A118G Mu Opioid Receptor
Polymorphism Is Associated with Heightened HPA Axis Response to Opioid Receptor
Blockade but not Psychosocial Stress. The Endocrine Society’s 87th Annual Meeting, San Diego, California, 2005
5. Lin PI, Liang X, Browning-Large CA, Martin ER, Gilbert JR, Haines JL & Pericak-Vance M. A. Genetic heterogeneity of Alzheimer disease risk genes on chromosome 12. 2005 World Congress of Psychiatric Genetics, Boston, Massachusetts, 2005
6. Browning-Large CA, Lin PI, Martin ER, Bronson PG, Small GW, Schmechel DE, Welsh-Bohmer K. A., Haines J. L., Gilbert J. R. & Pericak-Vance M. A. Exploring the association of GAPD genes and late-onset Alzheimer disease. 2005 American Society of Human Genetics Meeting, Salt Lake City, Utah, 2005
7. Lin PI, Liang X., Browning-Large CA, Martin ER, Gilbert JR, Haines JL & Pericak-Vance MA Exploring genetic heterogeneity of Alzheimer disease risk genes on chromosome 12q by family-based association studies. 2005 American Society of Human Genetics Meeting, Salt Lake City, Utah, 2005
8. Lin PI, Vance JM, Pericak-Vance MA, & Martin ER “Flip-flop Associations: Can Opposite Alleles at the Same Locus be Associated with the Same Disease?” American Society of Human Genetics Meeting, New Orleans, Louisiana, 2006
9. Lin PI. Parsing the effect of copy number variations on age-at-onset in autism. Wellcome Trust Genomic Disorder Meeting, Hixton, U.K., 2007
11. Lin PI & Wortman J. Runs of homozygosity associated with risk of autism in females: evidence for recent positive selection for novel candidate gene TMEM47. American Society of Human Genetics Meeting, Hawaii, U.S.A., 2009
12. Lin PI, Thaker G. NRXN3, a novel gene for schizophrenia. 12th International Congress on Schizophrenia Research. San Diego, CA, USA, 2009
13. Lin PI, YL Chien, YY Wu, CH Chen & SF Gau. Speech delay modulated by the interplay of WNT2 gene and paternal age in autism. American Society of Human Genetics, Washington DC, 2010
14. Lin PI. Extended homozygous haplotypes involved in genes of brain development. Beyond the Genome, Boston, MA, USA 2012
15. Lin PI, SSF Gau. Runs of homozygosity associated with clinical heterogeneity in autism in a Taiwanese Han population. European Society of Human Genetics Meeting, Paris, France 2013
16. Patino LR, DelBello MP, Klein C, Adler CM, Weber WA, & Lin PI. Exploratory pharmacogenomic study of lithium response in adolescents with bipolar disorder. American Association of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Meeting, New York, NY, USA, 2016.