My research and teaching activities are focused in the intersection of distributed systems and software engineering. I try to develop methods, models, and tools that help to preserve and improve the quality of long-running and evolving distributed systems.
I work on software metrics and measurement for quality properties that relate to evolvable software systems, such as software portability, and their relation to software architecture erosion. In my current work, I am researching the application of source code metrics to detect and predict architectural erosion. From my prior work, much of which was focused on benchmarking workflow engines, I have experience in the areas of service composition, process-aware information systems, business process modeling and execution languages such as WS-BPEL and BPMN, and cloud computing. Moreover, I have done research on privacy-enhancing technologies and am interested in design patterns for privacy.
In my work, I put an emphasis on the practical and experimental evaluation of research ideas. Many of my approaches are supported by evaluations with large scale software libraries and software prototypes, which are released as open source. For this reason, I am a passionate open source software developer and contribute to several projects. Therefore, I am also interested in comparing the quality of open source and proprietary software tools and development approaches.
Some of my works have been honored with scientific awards. Most notably, I was distinguished with the Christos Nikolaou Memorial Award for my PhD thesis titled "Portability of Process-Aware and Service-Oriented Software: Evidence and Metrics" in 2016. Furthermore, I received a Student Best Paper Award in Service Science sponsored by IBM Research for a paper published at the 17th IEEE International Enterprise Distributed Object Computing Conference (EDOC 2013), a Best Paper Award for a paper published at the 6th IEEE International Conference on Service-Oriented Computing (SOCA 2013), and a Best Presentation Award for a presentation given at the 6th Central-European Workshop on Services and their Composition (ZEUS 2014). I have received an IEEE Student Travel award from the 8th IEEE International Conference on Cloud Computing (CLOUD 2015) and was nominated for the award for good teaching from the University of Bamberg in 2015.
I am a post-doctoral research fellow at the Software Engineering Research Group in the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science of the University of Karlstad, Sweden. I obtained my Ph.D. degree from the University of Bamberg in January 2016, after working in the Distributed Systems Group there from 2011 to 2016 as a research and teaching assistant. In fall 2012, I spent a month as a guest lecturer at the Software Engineering Research Lab of the Blekinge Institute of Technology in Karlskrona, Sweden. Prior to my employment, I completed my Bachelor’s degree (2005 to 2009) and Master’s degree (2009 to 2011) in Information Systems at the University of Bamberg. During this time, I spent one term (2007 to 2008) at the University of Skövde, Sweden.
- 9th ZEUS Workshop (ZEUS 2017), Steering Committee
- 1st International Workshop on the Performance and Conformance of Workflow Engines (PEaCE 2016), Organizing Committee
- 9th International IEEE Symposium on Service-Oriented System Engineering (SOSE 2015), Workshop Chair
- 8th IEEE International Conference on Cloud Computing (CLOUD 2015), Student Volunteer
- 6th European Conference on Service-Oriented and Cloud Computing (ESOCC 2017)
- 4th Workshop on Software Architecture Erosion and Architectural Consistency (SAEroCon 2017)
- 9th ZEUS Workshop (ZEUS 2017)
- 8th ZEUS Workshop (ZEUS 2016)
- 7th Central European Workshop on Services and their Composition (ZEUS 2015)
- 5th International Workshop on Reverse Variability Engineering (REVE), 2017
- Simulation Modeling and Practice (SIMPAT), 2017
- International Journal on Software and Systems Modeling (SoSyM), 2016
- 2015 IEEE International Conference on Data Science and Advanced Analytics (DSAA’2015)
- IET Information Security, 2015
- 7th International Conference on Subject-Oriented Business Process Management (S-BPM ONE 2015)
- 26th International Conference on Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering (SEKE 2014)
- 19th International Conference on Engineering of Complex Computer Systems (ICECCS 2014)
- 25th International Conference on Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering (SEKE 2013)
- 15th IEEE International Conference on Business Informatics (CBI 2013)
- Information Systems Journal, 2013
- 24th International Conference on Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering (SEKE 2012)
- 27th Symposium on Applied Computing, Enterprise Engineering Track (SAC-EE 2012)
- 6th International Symposium on Service-Oriented System Engineering (SOSE 2011)
For a list of my publications, please refer to the publications page, which I try to keep updated and complete. A complete list of my publications can be found at my personal homepage. Selected publications are also available at Google Scholar or DBLP. Finally, you can connect with me on ResearchGate.