Master Programme in Social Science: Focus History
General admission requirements for studies at Master's level.
Specific requirements: Upper secondary level Swedish 3 or B and English 6 or A, or equivalent.
For the chosen major:
- History: Bachelor's degree of 180 ECTS credits with a major in history, cultural studies, history of ideas, religion, ethnology, anthropology, or equivalent.
- Human Geography: Bachelor's degree of 180 ECTS credits with a major in human geography/tourism studies with an emphasis on human geography, or equivalent.
- Social Work: General or professional Bachelor's degree of 180 ECTS credits, including a degree project of 15 ECTS cr. with a major in social care or social work, or equivalent.
- Sociology: Bachelor's degree of 180 ECTS credits with a major in sociology or social psychology, or equivalent.
- Political Science: Bachelor's degree of 180 ECTS credits with a major in political science, or equivalent.
EducationThe programme involves studies at Master's level in one of the subjects history, human geography, social work, sociology or political science. The programme also includes elective courses, offering opportunities for specialised or broadened knowledge in a multidisciplinary perspective. It offers in-depth subject knowledge with a broadening perspective and preparation for professional life as well as further studies. Students indicate their choice of major on their application.
Form of InstructionThe forms of instruction vary but ususally include lectures, groupwork, seminars and distance study.
ExaminationExamination and assessment formats are specified in each syllabus.
Study AbroadStudents can have the opportunity to study courses abroad.
Professional ContactStudents choose the extent of their professional contacts through elective courses.
Course of study
|Semester 1||ECTS credits|
|Cultural Heritage and the Cultural Turn (Obligatory)||7.5|
|General Project Management Methodology (Elective)||7.5|
|Use of history (Obligatory)||7.5|
|Identities and Cultures (Elective)||7.5|
|Semester 2||ECTS credits|
|The Multifaceted Cultural Heritage (Elective)||15|
|Cultural policy in a historical perspective (Obligatory)||7.5|
|Research methods in cultural history (Obligatory)||7.5|
|Semester 3||ECTS credits|
|Cultural Heritage-Based Teaching and Learning (Elective)||7.5|
|The New Political History (Elective)||7.5|
|Practical Placement 1 History (Elective)||15|
|Regional organization in space and time (Elective)||7.5|
|Semester 4||ECTS credits|
|Currently under development (Obligatory)||30|
*Full-time study always equals 30 ECTS credits per semester (20 weeks).
Elective course: Students are free to choose among certain alternative courses, often depending on their choice of specialisation.
Optional course: Students are free to choose any course offered at Karlstad University or at other universities. Courses listed are examples of recommended or frequently chosen courses for a specific programme.